Voted 'Best Prep School in the UAE-2023' - Luxlife Private Education Awards
At Brighton College Al Ain we strongly feel that all children should be actively involved in focused, purposeful learning experiences that develops independent and confident learners. Children should be developing as independent learners to know:
- what they are learning
- why they are learning
- how to be successful.
Pupils are taught by passionate, highly qualified primary teaching professionals. As children leave the Early Years and join Year 1, they progress through and beyond the National Curriculum, towards the attainment targets of Key Stage 1 and 2 of the British Curriculum, including Arabic, Islamic and Social Studies. They learn traditional academic subjects; English language, English literature, Maths, History, Geography, Science, as well as benefiting from specialist lessons in Music, PE and swimming.
Our ultimate aim is to develop independent learners that are achieving high standards and making excellent progress.
We embark on ‘An Active Learning’ curriculum. This responds to a number of issues:
- A desire to enhance the quality of independent learning.
- A desire to develop children as reflective learners.
- A desire to create systems that accurately assess the acquired knowledge, skills and concepts of our children so that planning can reflect the individualised learning needs and styles of the children.
- Inclusive practice that helps every individual child to meet their learning potential regardless of gender, belief system, culture or language.
- A desire to create life-long learners.
- Observations of our children’s response and purposeful learning to the opportunities.
- A clear journey of learning, led by the children and adults, to ‘join up’ the learning and achieve an outcome for all children.
Our transition points from each key stage are well considered:
FS to Year 1 - Focus on purposeful play and child led learning
Year 1 to Year 2 - Developing focus, progressive play and purposeful outcomes
Year 2 to Year 3 - Independent, reflective learners ready for the challenges of a KS2 curriculum.
Year 3 and Year 4 - Focus on establishing active and independent learners within the KS2 curriculum.
Year 5 – Preparing the pupils as responsible learners and members of the school community in preparation for the Senior School curriculum and environment.
During Years 1 to 5 our children learn much more than the curriculum. Their lessons are enriched with trips, workshops and visits to inspire and encourage their engagement with the wider world beyond the classroom.
At Brighton College Al Ain, the skills that children develop are significant. Every day, children are given the opportunity to manage information, solve problems and make decisions, make connections, be creative, self-manage, work with others and value others ideas, resulting in independent and resilient children.